Wednesday, November 20, 2013

my first solo adventure | my tennessee trip


i. My flight from Denver left at 12:59am. Aside from *almost* sitting in the wrong seat, (Really, Marcia. How hard is it to find the little sign saying "A, B, C" over the right side, and "D, E, F" on the left side.) everything else went smoothly. Flying during the night has got to one of the most gorgeous sights, it's definitely worth losing sleep over. (Hey, sleep is important, but most times we spend some of our most valuable hours sleeping instead of living.) As we started getting into Charlotte, North Carolina, we ran into a little thunderstorm. And here's the fun part... I was watching some distant lightning, when suddenly the lightning struck the wing of the plane, which I was sitting directly behind. It literally blinded me for about four seconds, and all I could see was bright electric white. Once we finally landed, I had a four hour layover, and it was quite delightful. (Pumpkin Spice Lattes and Wives and Daughters combine quite well.) My connecting flight was an adventure too. The plane I flew in was the smallest little old thing, the sound was almost deafening. But the people were amazing. I JUST LOVE THE SOUTH. My flight attendant was a really tall black guy with the coolest Southern drawl. And the flight buzzed with conversations the entire flight. I had the sweetest older gentleman sitting beside me. We talked about places we've traveled, what I was planning to do in the future, his wife and two boys, and he told me to stay in school. 
Also North Carolina mountains in October are beyond beautiful.


ii. The entire reason for my trip was to help my aunt who just had baby who was two months early. She also has a two year old with almost endless energy and spunk, so she was slightly busy. ::wink:: My dad's entire family lives in the same area, and it was so good to see family again. (All of my relatives live out of state, so it's a precious treat whenever we get to see them.) I had forgotten how much I missed hearing my Grandpa constantly crack jokes followed by that deep chuckle of his.  I got to watch my Grandma continue to try to be superwoman and do everything she possible could in a week's time. And I watched all my little cousins (who are growing up way to quickly) run around and playing in all my old haunts around the home-place. 
It's funny how things can change so much, yet still be so much the same. 



iii. One Saturday, we set up a small booth at the local flee market. I know what you are thinking, "Oh, cute vintage dresses, record players, film cameras, and antiques." Um, no. Guys, it was redneckkk. There were no hipsters there, I'm telling you. We had multiple people buy an item after standing there for two minutes saying "I really don't know what I'm going to do with this." Some of the other vendors came to our booth and bought items to resell at their own booths. (Free enterprise at it's finest.) And there were plenty of old fellows all wearing various forms of plaid and coveralls all talking about something that happened a few weeks ago. It was quite the experience! (and boy, did we ever have a lot of laughs about it later! :))

iv. It all went way to quickly, and two and a half weeks seemed like one. But it was good, really really good.
 It was a chance to test my wings, and realize I can fly, even if it's just a short distance.
But no matter how much I love travels and adventures, it's always so good to be home.

(excuse the long rambles. those were just some of the highlights of my short adventure)
xx. marcia

8 comments :

  1. Nice- so glad you had a good time and bravo for the traveling alone, I didn't fly alone until 2 weeks ago and it was "worriesome" enough at my age... maybe you and Trish will have to come see us for a few days sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun! :) I myself haven't ever flown for a trip, I had friends who's dad was a pilot and he flew me and my sister around their yard only a couple hundred feet high. It was fun, but I do want to travel somewhere in the world by airplane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were brave coming that far by yourself, girl. We enjoyed having you here. It always amazes me when we fly, we can tell we're almost home because almost without fail, on our last flight (mostly Tennesseeans coming home, I guess) we will strike up a conversation with the passenger next to us and find out things we have in common. Like you said, the cabin is a buzz with conversation all around. We Southerners find nothing wrong with talking to complete strangers, they're just friends we haven't talked to yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the bright simplicity of your images !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a great trip! I actually love flying on my own (although with friends is always fun too:) you can just take in all the fun sights and get lost in a good book during layovers. I guess that's the crazy introvert in me though:)
    The baby is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gaaah. I can't believe you took a plane trip by yourself. you're so brave and lovely and wonderful and just ah. I love you lots, dear friend. xx
    p.s. thanks for all the love you leave in my garden walk. you are simply the best, and i must come more to your lovely corner of the blogging world. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Wives and Daughters :) I have never flown alone, but I think I might enjoy it. I have always liked the idea of travelling alone. Kind of weird, but I guess getting to do what I want when I want just sounds exciting to me!

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for taking the time to comment! each comment means the world to me. you are cooler than Teddy Roosevelt riding a moose, well almost. But you're pretty rad just the same.